My research interests are in the areas of social identity (with a particular focus on national identity), military service, citizenship, attitudes to war and peace, and dis/obedience. Most of my work to date has involved the use of qualitative approaches, particularly those informed by discursive and rhetorical psychology, and as such I also have interests in a range of generic issues relating to qualitative research methods.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Communication, Language
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Group Processes
- Intergroup Relations
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Sullivan, C., Gibson, S. & Riley, S. (Eds). (in press). Doing your qualitative psychology project. London: Sage.
- Abell, J., Condor, S., Lowe, R. D., Gibson, S., & Stevenson, C. (2007). Who ate all the pride? Patriotic sentiment and English national football support. Nations and Nationalism, 13, 97-116.
- Abell, J., Locke, A., Condor, S., Gibson, S., & Stevenson, C. (2006). Trying similarity, doing difference: The role of interviewer self-disclosure in interview talk with young people. Qualitative Research, 6, 221-244.
- Condor, S., Figgou, L., Abell, J., Gibson, S., & Stevenson, C. (2006). "They're not racist": Prejudice denial, mitigation and suppression in dialogue. British Journal of Social Psychology, 45, 441-462.
- Condor, S., & Gibson, S. (2007). "Everybody's entitled to their own opinion": Ideological dilemmas of liberal individualism and active citizenship. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 17, 115-140.
- Condor, S., Gibson, S., & Abell, J. (2006). English identity and ethnic diversity in the context of UK constitutional change. Ethnicities, 6, 123-158.
- Gibson, S. (in press). ‘I’m not a war monger but…’: Discourse analysis and social psychological peace research. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology.
- Gibson, S. (in press). Milgram’s obedience experiments: A rhetorical analysis. British Journal of Social Psychology.
- Gibson, S. (2011). Dilemmas of citizenship: Young people's conceptions of un/employment rights and responsibilities. British Journal of Social Psychology, 50, 450-468.
- Gibson, S. (2011). Social psychology, war and peace: Towards a critical discursive peace psychology. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 5, 239-250.
- Gibson, S. (2009). An imperfect Panopticon? Surveillance and the BBC Prison Study. Social Psychological Review, 11, 15-21.
- Gibson, S. (2009). The effortful citizen: Discursive social psychology and welfare reform. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 19, 393-410.
- Gibson, S., & Abell, J. (2004). For Queen and country? National frames of reference in the talk of soldiers in England. Human Relations, 57, 871-891.
- Gibson, S., & Condor, S. (2009). State institutions and social identity: National representation in soldiers' and civilians' interview talk concerning military service. British Journal of Social Psychology, 48, 313-336.
- Gibson, S., & Hamilton, L. (2011). The rhetorical construction of polity membership: Identity, culture and citizenship in young people’s discussions of immigration in northern England. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, 21, 228-242.
- Gibson, S. & Noret, N. (2010). Historical experiences, collective memory and willingness to fight for one's country: Comments on Paez et al. (2008). Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 41, 445-450.
- Abell, J., Locke, A., Condor, S., Gibson, S., & Stevenson, C. (2008). Trying similarity, doing difference: The role of interviewer self-disclosure in interview talk with young people. In N. Fielding (Ed.), Interviewing II (Vol. 3). London: Sage.
- Gibson, S. (2010). Introducing the dataset. In M. Forrester (Ed.), Doing qualitative research in psychology: A practical guide. London: Sage.
- Gibson, S. & Riley, S. (2010). Approaches to data collection in qualitative research. In M. Forrester (Ed.), Doing qualitative research in psychology: A practical guide. London: Sage.
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
York St. John University
Lord Mayor's Walk
York YO31 7EX
- Phone: +44 (0) 1904 876581